A true local gem, our big, sweet and luscious Cape Cod Sea Scallops are as close to a perfect food as you can get. Native Sea Scallops are available year-round at Mac’s Seafood Markets or to ship from Mac’s Online Shop.
Healthy: Protein rich and low fat, scallops are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and vitamin B-12.
Recipe: Here is a simple, quick and easy recipe for Seared Sea Scallops with TIPS for achieving the perfect golden crust.
Seared Sea Scallops with a Perfect Golden Crust
Click to download recipe card>>Seared Sea Scallops
- lb. Sea Scallops
- 2 tbsp. avocado or other high smoke point oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- A few pinches of kosher or sea salt
- A wedge of lemon (optional)
Local Ingredient Source: Fresh Sea Scallops – available year-round at your local Mac’s Seafood Market
- Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. See “Tips” for the best type of skillet to use.
- Remove the side muscle and rinse. Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel. This is a very important step! See “Tips” below. Lightly season with kosher or sea salt.
- Place scallops in the pan (they should not be touching) and cook for 2 – 3 minutes on side one. Do not move the scallops around the pan while they sear. Flip with tongs and repeat on side two until the center of the scallops are just opaque, about another 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add butter. Spoon the melted butter over the scallops. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a wedge of lemon.
- If you want that savory, golden crust on your scallops, skip the non-stick pan. Using a cast iron, stainless steel or copper skillet allows the scallops to stick to the pan, triggering the Maillard reaction – producing the browned, crackling, complex-flavored crust that you love.
- Moisture creates steam, which is the enemy of a golden sear. That’s why it’s so important to pat scallops dry to remove any water from the surface before they hit the pan.
Recipe Courtesy of Mac’s Seafood. All rights reserved.